Thursday 16 February 2012

Are You Hurt, Or Are You Injured?? That's a Good Question... I Don't Know.

Well, It’s is official.  I have officially registered and paid for my first two triathlons (Sprint and Olympic distances).  As I go along, I am finding myself more and more creating these “bucket list” items.  I never really had a “bucket list” before, but the more active I become; the more goals I set.  I guess it’s kind of hard to set goals while eating a triple cheeseburger and chicken fries while sitting on the couch watching re-runs of “Full House,” because that's the kind of stuff I used to do.
I am still on the training path but have had a little setback with my running.  I have some sort of arch pain that tended to get worse as I ran. I thought it was the onset of plantar fasciitis and so that scared the crap out of me.  I have been very fortunate as to not have any real injuries during my weight loss, so the idea of having a potential chronic injury really freaked me out. I have since found out it was mostly from not changing my running shoes when they had reached their average life (approximately 400-500 miles).  I had almost 700 miles on the pair that I have been running with.  This is another learning experience that I will definitely remember. It is one of the hundreds of things that I have learned over the past year and I know that I have so much more ahead of me to experience and learn(both good and bad).
Most of you “long-time” runners are probably laughing your butt off at my over-reaction and stupidity, but I have never had issues like this.  A guy at the gym has warned that once you start running and training for races and events, one of the hardest things to learn is how to deal with setbacks or injuries.  I can agree with that, because not running for the past two days have absolutely killed me.  I know, not running for two whole days, WOW – Big Deal, right?  Again, I am new to this sort of thing and like the fact that I can just go out and run anytime I wanted to, but to NOT be able to have that luxury is what bothered me so much.  Well, I have spent the past two days icing, rolling my foot on golf balls and tennis balls, and taking anti-inflammatory medicine and today is the day to test it out.  Tonight, I will lace up my NEW pair of running shoes and head out for a 10 mile run.  Many of you probably think that I need to ease back into it and see how things go, and you are probably exactly right, but that is just not the type of person that I am.  I do it “all or nothing” and there are plenty of people who can attest to that. Not one of my best or smartest traits, but one of them nevertheless.
I have been swimming a little more the past week or so and have really been trying to push myself during spinning class. Swimming is slowly getting better, but it is always a struggle to get myself in the pool.  Spinning is tough because I want to be outside, but I know the weather will start to cooperate and I will be back on the “real” bike soon enough riding through the hills of Central Kentucky. I am very excited about the upcoming season, but most of all, I hope that I don’t make a fool out of myself and would really like to finish all the races that I attempt.  It’s hard to believe that I am talking about finishing a marathon or triathlon when just this time last year, I was close to 400 lbs.  It’s still hard to comprehend and probably always will be.
There you go, another tidbit of my life as I see it.  Just another day in the life of a “fat man.”

Swimming, not drowning as much, biking, but not outside, and hopefully tonight, running again…

No comments:

Post a Comment