Tuesday 1 May 2012

WHEW!! What a Month April Has Been!!



 
The NEW Me at the Heart and Sole Tritahlon
 
The OLD Me.  Lucky to get off the couch...





 It all started January 10th, 2011.  A very, very large man was looking through his Christmas 2010 photos. While he was looking through them, he saw someone he really didn’t recognize anymore.  He saw someone who was headed for a probable “abbreviated” life.  During the previous year in 2010, this guy was asked to exit an amusement park ride because the “extend-a-belt” (aka. fat boy belt) wouldn’t even fit over his stomach.  He even got winded after walking two flights of stairs. He had to get a belt with a small belt buckle because the belts that had a big belt buckle would leave a painful mark on his overlapping stomach. His idea of shopping for clothes consisted of elastic waistlines, and stretchy materials to hide his huge stomach and enormous love handles. He didn’t want to go to water parks because the site of him without a shirt was too horrific for even him to fathom. Does this sound ridiculous, sad, gross, or even pitiful? Well, it was all of those until he (me) decided I needed a change; a new life, a better life, an “un-abbreviated” life. 
Sure we can’t determine exactly when or how we will go, but we can certainly do something to try to make our life healthier, more enjoyable, and more rewarding.  That’s what I think I have done; I have made my life have more than just a beginning and an end. My life feels like it has meaning again, like I have a fresh slate at life. At 171 lbs. total weight lost, I feel amazing!  I have been taken off all medication (high blood pressure and cholesterol medications) because I have lost the weight and am eating right.
I just finished two weeks of some of the most challenging and rewarding times in my life.  I finished my first triathlon and my first marathon in back-to-back weekends.  I am sure some of you say “big deal,” but for me it has been an eye opening experience of how much fun my life has become. I like to do these races not just because they are fun, but mostly, because I now know that I can.
I finished my triathlon 27th out of a little over 100 people, and also finished my marathon in half the pack of over 2000 people.  While I am not burning up any speed records, I have been having the time of my life.  I go to spinning and bike classes and I smile, because the endorphins kick in and I know I can push through any pain if needed.  I run hard for miles because I know I have some endurance. I swim laps upon laps in the pool because I know I can take it. I do pushups till it burns, and then I do more, because I know it is possible.  I have learned self-discipline because that is what it takes to change your life.  I am by no means saying that I can do anything at will, but I know I can do a lot more than I did last year at this time, and next year, I want to say the same thing, and so on and so on.


I know I will never stand on a podium and finish as a top triathlete, runner, swimmer, or cyclist, but I know I will have fun chasing those who do. So, for those of you who are podium finishers and top athletes, be aware, I am behind you, probably miles and miles behind you, but don’t stop, because I will always be there, pushing as hard as I can.


Chasing new goals, new dreams, but always pushing and running...

1 comment: