Monday 15 October 2012

What is your Reason for Running?

For the first time ever, I got a chance to see the Rocky Mountains.  I went to Boulder Colorado for work last week. Yeah, I know poor Jason, had to go to Boulder, Colorado at the end of September.  Haha, but trust me, I am not complaining one single bit.  I had a chance to go to the Triathlon/Cycling/Running/Endurance Training capitol of the US.  I mean, i got to run in places that Craig Alexander, Greg Bennet, and hundreds of other professional athletes have probably run before.  Sorry, I was "geeking" there for a minute, but its true, Boulder Colorado is definitely a special place.

Well, I will tell you, it was everything I imagined.  There were cyclists and runners everywhere.  I will
say it was hard to stay focused on work while there.  It seemed as though every time I turned around, there was a running trail, bike lane, or something that was calling my name.  But, I stayed true to my work and focused in and got the job done (with plenty of time to spare for running!!).  I got a chance to run an evening run with Boulder Running Company. I ended up getting lost with some other runners and turned a simple 7 miles run into an almost 14 mile run.  I got to run through the University of Colorado Campus, so no regrets on getting lost at all.  I ran to the Newton Running store with the hopes to meet Danny Abshire (founder) again.  I met him once at the Bluegrass Half Marathon that I volunteered for.  I didn't get to meet him, but I went to the store just to say I had been there. 

I also ran a couple of trails in the base of the foothills.  It was awesome, but what I didn't expect was a warning sign for mountain lions and bears in the area.  This Kentucky/Georgia transplant is not really used to going to parks and seeing warning signs for Mountain Lions. Sure made me look at the area I was running in.  haha.  Also, made me nervous a couple of times when people were running the opposite way on the trails and a very fast pace.  I had hoped they were just doing a training run.  The thing that really made me chuckle was the last tip for what to do when a mountain lion attacks you.  The sign said to "fight back."  Are you serious? No, I think a better idea would be to just let him chew on my leg a little and not do a thing about it.  He a example of the sign I saw. One word - Awesome!!



It was a great experience, but I did have to do work, so it wasn't all about fun and games. Great place and would love to go again and see more and of course, run more.  Here are a few photos I took while out there. Apparently, one of the first snowfalls occured at higher elevations while I was there.  Really cool seeing this kind of stuff for the first time!





Well, after I got back from Colorado, I had about three weeks to finish up my training to get ready for this Sunday.  Yes, this Sunday, October 21st, is my second marathon, the Columbus, Ohio Marathon! I am nervous about the marathon, maybe even more than my first one.  I think the nerves come from knowing what may happen in the last few miles of it. 

Just to bring everyone up to speed, my first marathon was great and I was so close to getting in under that 4 hour time, but at mile 24, my leg seized up and I had to walk and stretch for almost a mile which pushed me over the 4 hour time.  I was excited to say I finished a marathon, but on the other hand, I really wanted to finish under 4 hours.  It's just one of my many goals. Hopefully I have done enough training to get under 4 hours and achieve another one of my goals.  Either way, I will still be happy to say that I finished two marathons in year! 

Well, like I said, the marathon is less than a week away.  I am getting nervous and very antsy because i am tapering my running volume in prep for this weekend.  It's hard and I am definitely not used to having to taper for more than a week, but I have been told that it WILL help.

A couple of weeks ago, I sat down at my computer and watched the Chicago Marathon.  It was the marathon that I originally wanted to do, but because it was just too expensive to swing this year, I had to move to something closer to home. Well, it was amazing seeing the elites, age groupers, and charity runners run the race.  I knew of a few people who ran the race and I hope they had a great time.  I am sure they did.  There is really no way to run a marathon, finish it, and feel badly about it.  Sure, you may not finish in the time you wanted, but when you run a marathon, you are doing it for more than just a time on a clock.  Elite runners do it to support their families, age groupers may do it to stay in shape or to check off a "bucket list" item.  Charity runners may do it for a passed away friend or family member, a sick child, to raise money to fight a disease, or something else. Either way, time is not the entire reason a person runs a marathon, there just is too much training, dedication, and commitment to let that alone be the reason for doing it. 

As I said before, I am not just looking for a time under 4 hours, I am looking for more.  I am looking to see what I am made of; if I can do it one more time.  I am also doing it for my family. When I was in high school, my father had cancer in one of his vocal chords and had to have it removed, he has been cancer free for years!! Recently though, my mother was diagnosed this year with Breast Cancer (her Fourth Cancer) and she had to have a complete double mastectomy.  Also, during the surgery, the doctor's found the cancer had spread to one side of her lymph nodes. They ended up removing the lymph system on her right side. Since then, she has been going through chemotherapy and even had two more rounds of chemo added on to her initial chemo plan.  She has been the sickest I have every seen her and she even lost her hair and voice for a period of time. There were times she wanted to give up and I asked her not to.  She has never given up and still hasn't.  So she has finished the chemo treatment and has her scan this Wednesday, October 17th to see if the treatment took care of the cancer this time. Regardless of the outcome, she has been diagnosed with cancer four times and never given up.  To me that is strength, absolute strength.  If my parents can fight cancer and essentially fight for their lives, surely I can run a 26.2 mile race in their Honor. So that is another reason I run and why I run a marathon, for my parents, from which I know what true STRENGTH is. And at this marathon, I will be wearing the pink ribbon for my mother and also my dad and the millions before them that have fought cancer.

Another reason I run the marathon is pretty simple. I want my kids to say that their dad has run not one marathon, but two, and next year, maybe they will be able to say three and four.  I remember the look on my kid's eyes when I couldn't even fit in an amusement park ride two years ago. It was not a sight that I ever want to see again.  It was the look of surprise and disappointment that I was asked to step off the ride.  It wasn't the embarrassment from others looking at me that helped fuel my weight loss, it was the embarrassment that I felt that I put on my kids.  They didn't have a choice of who their Dad was, only I did.  I knew I had to change, not just for myself, but for my kids.  So, running a marathon, and pushing myself to finish at whatever time I finish, doesn't concern me as much as seeing the reaction of my family when they know that their Dad just did something that not everyone can or will do.

So there, those are the reasons for my motivation for getting up everyday and training and losing weight and just trying to become a better person.  I know I am not the best Dad in the world, or the most in shape, or even the best person in the world, but I am trying to take it one day at a time.  I guess being a better "me" is kind of like a marathon; you just take it one step at a time, you put just one foot in front of the other.

This journey I am am on seems to be focused around me realizing that I have a life and want to make it the best that I possibly can. 

It took weight loss to realize that I have a great family and great friends, and it makes me happy that I now am starting to realize how important those are in my life.

Thanks to all who have supported me thus far and those who continue to support me everyday.

Just humbled, not running, just humbled...



No comments:

Post a Comment