Tuesday 17 January 2012

One Year Ago...Where was I? Year in Review

Ok everyone, here is the yearly total.  Last week, was one year January 10th and I have lost a total of 151 lbs. in those 12 months.  Wow!!  I can hardly believe it.  I still have a hard time seeing 151 lbs. gone from my body but the scales do not lie.  I started around 380 lbs. and as of last week was down to around 228-229lbs.  I honestly never thought that I could get this far, but I have and I really don’t want to stop either.  People ask me what weight I will stop at and I tell them that it isn’t about that, it’s about getting my body (and mind) in the best possible shape that I can.  So, whatever weight that is, that is my ultimate goal.  Of course it’s pretty awesome to get this far.  I will keep training for races and events, and if the weight still comes off, then I will not complain. 
You will see in the photo below that I had a “biggest loser” moment.  I kept those pants for a reason.  The idea was that after I lost 150 lbs. I would hold them up to the “new me” just like they do on those types of shows. Well, there it is for everyone to see.  I went from a size 50 waist size to a 33/34 waist.  It still hasn’t hit me yet.
As a whole, my life has changed for the better by leaps and bounds.  My health is remarkably better and I have un-relentless energy.  To start something like this takes desire, humility, and self-control, but to get this far, it takes that and so much more.  It takes people (friends, family, co-workers) to support and encourage/motivate along every step and every transition.  I didn’t get this far because of just my self-will; I got this far because of my wife and my children who watched me race and push myself constantly, the people at work who tell me that I am an encouragement to their own weight loss trials, the staff and instructors at the YMCA who ask how my journey is going, the people at the bank who ask to see my ID and then verbally question if the old driver’s license picture is really me, my parents who tell me how proud and motivated they are, and the people who read this blog and encourage me on Facebook.  Everyone has helped in some way. This is not a journey that I would like to do alone and fortunately, I have never been alone.  There has always been someone to help give some words of encouragement.
I know I will never win a marathon, triathlon, trail race, or bike race, but I don’t need to because I have won so much more than any podium finish or medal can provide – I have won my life back and for that I am endlessly grateful. Thank you to everyone who has helped me this far – I will never forget all that you have done for me.
I hope everyone has a great work week!
Happy, humbled, and of course running, but most of all - LIVING

No comments:

Post a Comment