Thursday 26 January 2012

Swimmimg...Again???

Today, I have my first "official" private swim lesson. Not only will I be intimated by the location of the lesson (a local swim, bike, run center), but my instructor is a SEC all-American swimmer (oh, how lucky am I - sarcasm).  I am sure he will take one look at me and suggest that I take lessons the rest of the year just to get up to speed.  To me, swimming is so difficult technically and because I don't have those technical aspects locked down, it is very hard physically. 
I am hoping that this instructor can help make my "anxiety" in the water go away. I can go to water parks and swim all day in pools with my kids, but swimming laps or in competition, I get nervous.  There is something about not being able to breathe or holding my breath that gets me "out of sorts."  It must be that I have gotten used to being able to breathe every breath or something like that - haha. I am not trying to break any speed records, but I do want to be able to complete any distance of swimming that I sign up for, and because of that thought, I know I have to seek an instructor to help achieve that goal.  Swimming is so different because I can't just be told or read about how to swim, I have to be shown and taught in the actual environment to get any understanding of swimming.  It's not like biking or running where someone can kind of just tell me helpful hints or tell me to read an article, swimming is completely different, and for that, I get nervous.

But all in all, I am going to learn how to swim one way or the other, whether I pass out or struggle with it for the next few months, I will get it; I have learned that much about myself during this time of training.  I know that although I may not be the best, fastest, or most efficient, I will not stop or quit. 

I heard a quote the other day from one of my Facebook friends that really resonated with me, I think it's from Babe Ruth:

"It's hard to beat a person that never gives up."

or even another similar one of from Hershel Walker:

"If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat."

Other than trying to avoid drowning this evening during my lesson, I will be using quotes like these to help motivate me past my worries about swimming.

Worried, nervous, but still swimming, no I mean running... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment