Thursday 5 January 2012

Why am I Running; What is the Ultimate Reason? Maybe this is Why...

When I was out running last night, I found myself asking the question, “Why was I doing this?”

Again, I started this journey with the intent on making myself a better person, both inside and out.  I just finished reading a book called “You are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World’s Toughest Triathlon.” I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in triathlons, but with a warning, it may make you want to go out and register for an Ironman that day.  Anyway, in the book, there was an athlete that was going to participate in the Ironman and do it in honor of people who had cancer.  It moved me and even though I am not prepared to start fundraising for events yet (that day is sure to come), I wanted to commit to anyone reading my blog that I will also run the Derby Festival Marathon, held in April, in honor of all the people that have or had cancer.  If you can let me know the names of anyone that you know that has or had cancer, please let me know and I will put them on a laminated card and run with the list of names and in their honor.  I know it may not sound like much, but to be able to run a marathon with that type of honor will could me answer the “why am I doing this?” question. I am starting to think my running should be more than just about me, it should be about running in honor of those that can’t. I mean, I am not going to win any races with my blazing 9 minute mile speed, but if I am going to still run in these events, I think should be with a reason, and starting to do these type of things might just be the reason I should be running.

Therefore, if you know of anyone who has cancer, survived cancer, or was lost to cancer and would like their name honored by my running in the 2012 Derby Festival Marathon held in Louisville, Kentucky, please let me know.
I will start off with two names:

Daniel Maxwell – My Father
Edith Martin – My Mother


Both have survived their bouts with cancer, but like many, have had to make some extreme sacrifices to overcome their cancer.



Now, more than ever, running forpurpose...

No comments:

Post a Comment