Monday 5 December 2011

Another Week of Training...

Another week of training has passed.  I lightened things up a little this past week.  My weekly run total was only about 31 miles, swim was about 2.5 miles, and I dropped one of my spinning classes for the week. However, I did add two weight training days.  Luckily, the rain and cold is arriving, so I may take a break from running for a day.

Talking to one of my friends who is an exceptional personal trainer, Justin Ford; he really gets on me about the amount of volume that I do week in and week out. He constantly tells me that I need to institute a rest day into my training.  It's really hard to listen, but he has never steered me wrong, so I may just take a day off from running (I will still hit the weights though).

I often find myself feeling guilty about thinking of taking a day off because I am worried that if I take one day off, then I will take another, and then another, then pretty soon, I will not be going to the gym hardly at all. However, I know that if one day, I get the chance to do an Ironman event, then I will need to learn to avoid over training.  Knock on wood, I have not had any significant injuries or setbacks, but as I increase the amount of running, swimming and biking, I know that I could be risking a potential injury if I don't rest.  Either way, I have a lot of learning to do about my limitations and training for endurance sports.

Ok, so the other day I said I would identify some of the events that I plan on entering for the 2012 Season.  I have a rough list of events below.  Some of the dates aren't yet available, so this is my first cut at the schedule.

Louisville Derby Marathon - April 28th
Warrior Dash 5K, Mountain City, GA - May 20th
TriFest, Taylorsville, KY - Beginning of June
Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon, Lexington, KY - End of June
Bluegrass 10K, Lexington, KY - July 4th
Cincinnati Triathlon - Cincinnati, OH - July 21st
Midsummer Night's Run 5K, Lexington, KY - Beginning of August
Chicago Marathon, Chicago, IL - October 7th

Again, if anyone has any suggestions on races or events, please let me know.  I am always interested to hear about races and triathlon events.  Hope everyone has a great start to the work week!

No comments:

Post a Comment