Tuesday 13 December 2011

Some Motivation for the Soul...

Sometimes I find it difficult to get motivated to workout or train (especially with swimming - haha).  However, I always know that I once I get myself started, then I will more than likely give it everything that I have.  There are some days that the 3:45am alarm comes very early and I want to hit the snooze button for just a bit longer. So therefore, I need a little motivation.

I always thought self-motivation was just using a person's inner motivation to do a task, but I have realized that self-motivation is much more than that.  It's also about finding the motivation to do something.  For instance, when I am getting ready to go for a long run and I am not too motivated, I tend to watch an online Ironman Video or some music video or look at old photos of myself, or even write a blog entry and that will get me pumped up.  Even though I can't always motivate myself, I am aware of the tools that get me started so I can eventually do it myself.  One thing that has motivated me a lot is reminding myself that not everyone can do the things that I am blessed to do; such as walk/run, swim, bike, and even stand on my own two feet.  I remind myself that I took advantage of being able to do this when I gained so much weight, but now, I don't ever need to take those things for granted again.  I always want to remember that and be motivated to do things because of those reasons.

I also remember quotes like:

"If you don't have a dream, then how can you make your dreams come true?"

or

“Our bodies have no limits but the limits our minds set upon them.”


and one of my favorites


“You are only as good as your last race” is a terrible quote.  The truth is your last race doesn’t mean crap.  You are really only as good as your next race.  Wake up every morning with a purpose and a goal in mind.  I have mine, what’s yours?


I know, kind of cheesy and ridiculous huh?  But, these type of quotes tend to motivate me, but as you can see, I try to find motivation in a lot of things.  I also use the kind words that people tell me to help fuel my training. Like I said, I don't think self-motivation is just the ability to think about something and have it automatically motivate you, but it is also the ability to look for ways to   become and stay motivated.  It is difficult to always get motivated to do that extra lap in the pool, or sprint out that last tenth of a mile, and even bike up that last hill as hard as you can, but the motivation that fuels you, will always push you to do your best.  The trick is to find out what motivates you and stick with it and help let it push you until you can't give anymore.  And once you have tapped into those energy sources, push yourself just a little harder, and then you have just become a self-motivator.  Remember, as I always have said, if I can do it, you can too. 


It's just time to get started! Until next time!




motivated AND running...

No comments:

Post a Comment