Thursday 8 December 2011

Tights or no Tights, that is the question...

Ok, so I woke up this morning wanting to go for a run.  I suited up and headed outside.  I have always been one to like the cold, but this morning was different.  I don't know if it is because of the weight I lost or what, but it was frigid.  I looked at the temperature and it was only 23 degrees. Surely I could handle 23 degrees wearing a long-sleeve shirt, shorts, and a cap.  I stepped outside again, but man it was cold.  Again, I am new to a lot of these things.  I have never run when it was below freezing, so I don't really know how to prepare.  However, during a black Friday sale, with the persistence from my wife, I bought a pair of running tights.  Now, I have seen people run in tights and it looked like it worked very well for them.  However, I am still a fat man, and no fat man really needs to be in tights, much less running the streets in them. But, it felt so cold, I decided being humiliated, but warm was better than being a pop-sickle and not looking like a freak.

I tore the tags off of the tights, put them on, looked in the mirror, and made some generic comments and jokes about Peter Pan, and headed out for a five-miler.  I must say that it was one of the best runs I have had in the past month or so.  It just seemed different, in a good way.  So now, I can say that I am proponent for tights in very cold temperatures. I will just make sure that if I am running in freezing temperatures, I will be running when it is dark.  I barely can subject myself to seeing me in tights, much less anyone else.

I always said that I would never wear tights, and that I would just tough out the cold, but this morning, I was proven wrong. I also said that I would never buy shoes and cleats for a bike, run a marathon, or even run for fun.  This past year has proven to be a year of me being wrong about many things, so I am used to it.

This leads me to my question, tights or no tights??

145 pounds and running...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment