Monday 12 December 2011

New Year"s Resolution or New Year's Confusion??

As I continue to go to the gym each morning, I have noticed the gym becoming busier and busier.

Hmmm... It looks like the New Year's Resolution crowds are now starting to arrive. Well, I know how it feels to be one of those gym newbies and have all the older "gym rats" look at you like you are just some sort of annoyance.  Yeah, it's true, some of the New Year's Resolution crowd will stop coming to the gym after about two to three weeks.  This can be due to a number of reasons, but I really think that some of the reasons are because the whole weight loss and exercise thing can be confusing.

With all the diets (paleo, vegan, zone, south beach, cabbage,etc) and all the workout programs (Zumba, P90X, Crossfit, etc.) it can be very confusing, and even overwhelming, for the person just starting to take those first steps towards a new healthy life.

Well, I haven't been on this weight loss gig for very long, so I am by no means an expert on anything, but I think the best way to start out is to just keep it simple.  I am not smart enough to remember point totals, carb/protein ratios, and whatever else you have to do with some of these diets.  All I know is that eating healthy and exercising helps lose weight.  I say eat what you want (in moderation), but also keep it healthy.  For instance, if you want a cheeseburger, eat one, but use lean beef or turkey and a whole wheat bun and reduced fat cheese, and instead of fries, throw some vegetables on the side or even put a salad with it.  But the key is to realize that even though you eat healthy foods, you still have to exercise regularly.  For me, it has been this simple.  All the weight loss programs might help to get jump started or to lose a few pounds if needed, but to make a lifestyle change, it needs to be just that, a "life change."

All the diets and weight loss programs have shown to work, but to be honest I really couldn't afford them and/or pay the money to have someone help me. Therefore, I had to do most of it myself.  I started using a free wellness program through my work (KershWellness) and was shown the foods that I ate needed to be "clean." In otherwords, I needed to eat more vegetables, eat less fried foods, eat fruits (this one has been hard for me), limit enriched flour products, eat 100% whole wheat, drink water over anything else, and just exercise. This is stuff each of us have been told all our lives, but it is up to us to decide when to follow it. That's all I do, and it has worked rather well.  I am not a dietitian or a doctor, but I do know that keeping it simple is what has been working for me. Therefore, if you are confused and overwhelmed, start your New Year's Resolution by just eating an extra vegetable and then go for a walk, it starts off small, but it can pay huge rewards later.

I just want to reiterate that I am only one person sharing my story and my experiences as I try to work toward being healthier for my family and eventually completing my ultimate goal of completing the 2013 Louisville Ironman.

Well, here it is, the start to a new week!  I hope everyone starts it off strong!  Until next time.

Still fat, but still running...

No comments:

Post a Comment